Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cross section of maximum capacity

After weeks of telling myself that I was going to do it, I finally got around to installing a second tie rack today. For a couple months now, I'd been stacking tie after tie onto two bowing hangers, and I finally found the time to re-arrange them properly.

It forced me to weed through my collection and get rid of some things and take inventory in general. Just before I dove into my original rack to start weeding, the sun hit it just perfectly and I knew I had to get a picture.

tie rack cross section

This rack has 32 posts for holding ties, but obviously there are a few more than that base number here.



As mentioned above, this is my original tie rack, which houses all of my vintage ties from the 50s and 60s as well as a bunch of other random stuff. The left side of it is draped with hand-painted and madras with a few others (like embroidered animal and bird ties) that have slipped in for good measure.

By the time I finally finished arranging the other rack (which now houses the repp stripes, knits, linen, and woolens), the light was too poor to get anything of quality, but it's crammed nearly as tightly. I'm officially at the point where buying a new tie means getting rid of one that I already have. I must attain some equilibrium.

Or, a third tie rack.

7 comments:

  1. Go for the third tie rack. They really don't take up that much space, I assure you. My couple hundred would tell you that. May I suggest the 32 tie hanger from Target. Only $3.99 and very space-efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one thing that I didn't do was count how many ties that I actually have, but I'm guessing it's between 120-150 or so. I agree that ties take up a minimal amount of space, but at the same time forcing myself to only purchase the creme de la creme in the future probably isn't a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. I've become quite selective in my tie purchases. One can only have so many foulard or stripe ties before things get repetitive. Hope you got my latest e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn you guys, i need to buy more ties and hangers, consequently. Great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a cool picture, also that looks like a great tie rack. I need to get one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found both of my tie racks at thrift stores for $2.99. They've both been missing mounting hardware, but that's remedied easily enough (especially with a hardware store right next to one of our best thrift shops).

    I'll try to get a picture of the second rack here at some point. The colors aren't quite as bright, but there's a lot more texture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God damn those be some tacky ties!!!

    ReplyDelete