Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Can't explain it

There are a few items of clothing in my wardrobe that I have a somewhat hard time explaining why I like so much. They either have somewhat dubious and/or dated styling, and yet I keep them around and break them out on various occasions.

red leather jacket
This oxblood leather jacket is one of those items. The styling is very 80s (see detail picture below), with zippers on the chest and a slim cut that makes it looks like something out of The Warriors crossed with a jacket that a backup dancer in a Michael Jackson video might wear.

leather jacket detail
That said, I like it. The color is deep and rich and it fits me really well (if a bit tight when I'm wearing a sweater underneath), and really, there's not a lot more to explain than that. On this particular day, I paired it with an older Lands' End knit tie, a Brooks Brothers v-neck sweater, my Pendleton driving cap, some cream corduroys and rather nondescript Florsheims.

Speaking of the aforementioned tie, it was actually a gift from The Cable Knit Collegian, who sent a great selection of them to me awhile back. When I started up Style Share, I certainly didn't expect anything in return, and yet I've gotten several awesome things from those who have participated. I've been incredibly flattered by this gesture from my "internet friends" (as my wife calls them when she sees me opening a package), and I've been working the pieces into my wardrobe recently and will be featuring more of them in the near future.

Considering all the outright dissing and petty bickering that I read on some men's style blogs, the return kindness is one of those damn cool things that proves there are plenty of good guys out there. More to come.

5 comments:

  1. Looking dapper, Aaron!

    Especially the tie / shirt / sweater combo is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help but noticing that you avoided commenting on the jacket.

    Honestly, I don't blame you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome tie! Horizontal and veritcal stripes together, and they look great.

    Jacket?!? You certainly pull it off better than most gents. I think it works, as the rest of the outfit is pretty classic. In a different setting I'd say you were getting your indie rocker mojo on.

    As always, lookin' good.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leather jackets aren't my style, but you pull it off well with the similar tones of the shirt and tie. Classic outfit overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that jacket is awesome. Wearing it with a traditional outfit really changes the dynamic of what would normally be a very trad look. That hat really ups the dandy quotient of the outfit as well. Of course, what you're wearing definitely isn't for beginners but I think that's really what makes it great.

    ReplyDelete