Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A hat and a hankie

Although they've watered down their brand a bit as they've expanded far beyond what they were initially great at (embroidered towels? night lights? really?), I'm still a huge fan of Pendleton Mills clothes, especially when I run across one of their older pieces. I have a couple shirts in red tartan patterns that are among my favorite pieces to wear on cold fall weekend days, and I used to own an old gray peacoat that I wore for many, many years before it gave up the ghost.

Pendleton cap
At a recent family dinner, my mom surprised me with this truly awesome tartan driving cap that she'd found thrifting (hey, what can I say, it runs in the family). As I've mentioned in other posts, I often feel self-conscious about wearing hats (simply because they make me even taller), but the low profile of this Pendleton number is perfect, and the wool keeps my head warm on the winter days when a stocking cap isn't necessary.

The second find is something I haven't worn yet, and I'm still looking for the right occasion to mix it in; That's right, I bought an ascot.

ascot
It's my first ascot, and oddly enough I found it on the same exact day that Giuseppe warned against them. It's the nicest one I've ever seen thrifting, though, and for 99 cents I couldn't pass it up.

Someday, I will work it.

P.S. Monday night (Dec. 6th), I'll unveil the items for Style Share for the month of December. There's more than just ties this time out, so swing back and stake your claim.

3 comments:

  1. Hat is amazing. I'm jealous.

    I visited the Pendleton outlet store last year and popped on one of their vintage re-issue wool shirt-jacs. Dude behind the counter told me that Pendleton was pulling some old patterns from the archives, and the one I got was from a pattern that the Beach Boys wore on one of their early albums. The shirt was expensive, but I thought I'd earned it after all of the jack I'd saved on thrifting. And I get a ton of compliments on it.

    Good luck on the ascot. I'm sure you'll be the only one in L-town to be rockin' one of those. If anyone can do it, you can.

    mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cap is great, wearing ascots is difficult but i´m sure you´d manage it gracefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cap man, you definitely gotta wear it. I'm 6'6" and it took me a while to get used to wearing the louder stuff like that, but I figure everyone's always staring at me since I'm tall anyway, might as well wear what I want.

    I have two ascots now, found the second about a week ago, both of mine were 99 cents as well. I personally like to wear it when people will least expect it, like to a concert or house party. I'm sure you'll figure out how to rotate it into your arsenal.

    ReplyDelete