Monday, March 11, 2013

Handiwork revisited

Nearly two years ago, I wrote a post about a little project I was working on while passing some hours one evening.

hand-sewn pocket square

Since that post, I'd worn the hand-rolled pocket square several times, and it was only today that I realized I had never properly photographed it in action.

I started a couple other clothing-related projects around the same time (including making a scarf out of a chopped-up tweed jacket with a few moth holes in it), but mostly abandoned them. Time with an infant (and then toddler) got to be much more important, and instead of learning the fine art and sewing and spending time with a needle and thread, I funneled time into other pursuits.

pocket square plus outfit

Truth be told, I only finished two edges of the above pocket square, but with some strategic folding and stuffing, it doesn't really matter. Sometimes life interrupts intentions in a good way, and the two rough edges are a good reminder of that when I wear it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice red stitching on the square, I'm going to have to keep this idea in mind as I've got a few old Brooks Bros shirts that are definitely on their last leg. By the way, I really like that bottom picture there, great color contrast and cropping, looks like it could be a vintage menswear ad.

    ReplyDelete